I Seek Forgiveness
Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim seek forgiveness from Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah of Selangor over his statement to the Sultan that nominating one candidate for the mentri besar post had been the national practice since independence.
In a brief statement, the Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) advisor said he was only stating what, to his knowledge, had happened, especially during the time he was in the Umno-BN government from 1982 to 1998. Anwar claims that he only said what happened during his time in the Barisan Nasional government. He then apologised to the Selangor Sultan.
The private secretary of The Sultan Selangor stressed that Anwar’s statement is inaccurate and will confuse the people. He added if Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim does not have accurate facts, he is advised not to make statements. Mohamad Munir said during 2013 general election, when the opposition coalition won the majority of seats in Selangor state assembly, the Sultan of Selangor through his private secretary had sent a letter to the heads of the coalition to suggest four names as candidates for the post of mentri besar.
However, Mohamad Munir said the coalition wrote to Sultan suggesting Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim to be re-appointed as Selangor Mentri Besar even though the Sultan had received several other names. He said this was because PKR President Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail stated during the campaign that Khalid need not necessarily remain as mentri besar if Pakatan won. Sultan Sharafuddin appointed Khalid because he had held the position prior to that and had good ties with the Palace and the people of Selangor, he said.
Palace sources revealed on Thursday that the new mentri besar would be sworn in at 10am, Tuesday in Istana Alam Shah.